It all started with the initiative carried
out by Stanislaw Walczak, who in 1927 started something that
has been continued until this day. He organized a Polish youth
group with over 50 members who had an interest in learning the
Polish language. In 1920 in London, Ontario the Polish Brothers
Association (now PSN) started up a library for Polish youth. As
the Polish school grew, classes were held 4 times a week
from 7-10 pm. Since that time, the first School Board was made
up of K.Poliszak, W.Lasek, M.Bielecki. The school was moved to
a real Elementary School (St.John School) under the direction of
the Bishop. For all their time and efforts the patrons of the
Board were unpaid. The Polish language, culture, dance, history,
and literature were taught. Polish youth was also involved in
performing at different ethnic festivals and functions.
It is necessary to mention that since the beginning the school
was given financial and moral support from Polish Combatans'
Association and Polish National Alliance.
The history of our school was created by such names like;
Moczulski, Bladkowa, Jakubiak, Graban, Domin, Jedrzejewska,
Toll, Balicki, Pokusa, Teper and others. The Parents
Association has given their time and efforts without which
the growth of the school would not prosper well. The close
cooperation with the parents of our pupils guarantees
commonly-supported educational direction. This great number
of parents and their help has helped create the roots of the
Polish School which at the present has almost 500 students
and is supposedly the largest heritage school of its kind in the
world. Starting with kindergarten, pupils at the school become
familliar with two different languages and cultures. Bilingual
ability is a definite advantage for intellectual development,
and the appreciation of different cultural systems builds a
sound ability to differentiate, as well as a deeper understanding
of one's own heritage.